Subject: HumanMarkup TC Survival/Final? Meeting

Dear Fellow Current and Fellow HumanMarkup TC Members or Supporters,

I have scheduled what is probably our most important meeting since
either our founding or our move to OASIS.

Dial in toll free: 877 950 6921
outside of USA toll: 1 203 277 0324
passcode: 696410
Agenda:	Decide the issue of Closing the TC.

Our TC has reached the life or death decision point. Mary McRae
contacted me to inform me that we need to make a decision about
whether or not to keep our TC in business because, by OASIS rules, we
are failing to field the necessary requirements to maintain our TC:

 From TC Guidelines,

1. Definitions:

k. "Minimum Membership" means five Voting Members of a TC
representing at least two member organizations.

2.15 Closing a TC

A TC may be closed by Full Majority Vote of the TC, by Resolution of
the OASIS Board of Directors, or by the OASIS TC Administrator.

The TC Administrator must close a TC that has completed the
deliverables listed in its Charter if the TC does not add new
deliverables.

The TC Administrator may close a TC that fails to conduct at least
one Quorate Meeting or conduct any Specification Ballots during any
six month period; whose membership falls below the Minimum
Membership; which has not completed its deliverables within the
schedule listed in its Charter; or which has failed to show progress
towards achieving its purpose as defined by its Charter.

I'm sure none of us wishes to see our TC fail, but that is what we
face, and we must also either recommit and carry on normal business
despite our busy schedules and other commitments, or we must close
the TC. Since this also directly affects the charter of the
non-profit we formed in the hope that we could field resources to
support this work, I am including some other individuals who are not
specifically current or former members of the TC per se but who have
an interest in the work.

There is one point which I think it is crucial to understand in this
situation. It is much easier to keep a TC alive once it is
established than to start a new one, but we must have genuine
commitment, and this, of course, means myself as much as anyone, so I
appreciate that this is no small matter.

This effort remains important for me and on its own merits, but we
have never managed to attract the kind of corporate support we had
hoped to achieve. Unfortunately, this will leave the field open for
one or another consortium of convenience among the top tier vendors
who DO have a major vested interested in how control of personal
information from medical records and employment history to financial
transactions is determined to write standards for their legal
convenience, and I think we should all consider that as much as the
personal pain such a commitment entails.

On a related personal note, I have recently expanded my own efforts
in the healthcare-emergency management arena, where similar lack of
time and resources tend to prevent such efforts, but in a couple of
arenas I have managed to gain some traction that could eventually
help our TC if we can manage to stay alive. Specifically I now co
chair the National Center for Ontological Research (NCOR) Committee
on Ontology for Health Informatics, and I co chair a Working Group in
the Medical Banking Project (MBP), in areas related to how personal
records are handled. Neither are funded, of course, but the MBP is,
at least, picking up my travel to a conference in Nashville,
Tennessee in late Feb. That is a small step, but at least in the
right direction.

Regards,

President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design