iam-discuss message

Subject: Welcome to discussion of the proposed "OASIS IAM TC"

This mailing list has been established to support discussion and refinement of the proposal to establish a new OASIS Technical Committee.  The purposes and proposed approach of the TC are described in the draft submission (attached), but here is a brief statement of its goals (from the draft submission):

The goal of the IAM TC is to develop a testable reference architecture for a complete identity and access management system that implements the requirements of the US Federal Identity Credentialing and Access Management (FICAM) Roadmap and Implementation Guidance, v2, as well as adhering to the Guiding Principles of NSTIC. The reference architecture will also implement ABAC authorization as envisioned in the work of the OASIS SAML and XACML TCs. The product of the proposed TC's work will be a reference architecture that is specified at the level of testable interfaces and component functions, but that does not specify products or proprietary standards. However, the architecture should be implementable with existing (or reasonably expected to be existing before completion of the TCs work) commercial or open-source IAM products. The target for TC-level approval of the initial deliverables is one year from establishment of the TC.

An initial telcon with OASIS members and staff who John Tolbert and I thought might be particularly interested in the TC's topic--identity and access management--was held on April 29. Several excellent suggestions were made that will be addressed in revisions of the draft submission.  I will provide a summary of that discussion in a subsequent message here.

We hope to receive comments and suggestions on the draft submission and develop a final draft for submission in the next few weeks.  We are also seeking additional "co-proposers" to be listed in the submission. If your organization might want to be listed as a proposer, please contact me or John Tolbert.

Meanwhile, whether you are an OASIS Member or not, please review the draft submission and provide comments/questions/thoughts here.

Thanks,

Martin and John

--
Martin F Smith, Principal