icom message

Subject: Re: [icom] Agreement on a model?

Eric,

Eric Chan wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
>
> Currently, there is an ambiguity about the boundaries between ICOM, Beehive, Ecospace, and SIOC model. We need to emphasize that ICOM is not an agglomeration of vocabularies from Beehive, Ecospace, and SIOC namespaces, but rather a coherent collection of concepts in a new namespace and a versatile framework to relate the concepts. My intention for the ballot was for the TC to formally approve the use of ICOM namespace to demarcate the starting or working draft model and any new concepts we introduce into ICOM. It was not meant to fix the model or framework at this early stage. Certainly, the model or framework should be allowed to evolve freely to accommodate all anticipated use cases.

Ah, ok, so let me say it back:

A TC vote will be to approve the use of the ICOM namespace as a means to
distinguish "ICOM" concepts from concepts found in other models.

But isn't that the role of namespaces already?

I understand the need to distinguish ICOM from other vocabularies but
however "different" we view our work to be from that of others, that
isn't the same thing as others viewing ICOM as different.

Even at this early stage if there are some core concepts or properties
associated with them that cure problems or issues with other
vocabularies, that would be one way to distinguish ICOM. Granted that a
namespace makes it a unique space but there are lots of those.

What would make ICOM attractive is for it to be a unique space that
*offers advantages* over other extant vocabularies.

Those advantages could be rooted in the concepts chosen to anchor the
work, the modeling of those concepts, or even in their extensibility.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau