icom message

Subject: Draft Minutes of ICOM TC Meeting, March 31, 2010

Minutes of ICOM TC Meeting, March 31, taken by Eric S. Chan

Agenda

1.   Roll Call

2.   Approve draft minutes from March 3 and 24 TC Meetings

3.   Review RDF ontology in Drupal Neologism

4.   Review the questions posted by Deirdre and Laura

5.   AOB

1. The following eligible members were present

Laura Dragan

Deirdre Lee

Patrick Durusau

Eric Chan

2.  Approve draft minutes from March 3 and 24 TC Meetings

Draft Meeting minutes approved.

3.   Review RDF ontology in Drupal Neologism

Participants reviewed the RDF model of ICOM in http://resources.smile.deri.ie/icom/ (thanks to Laura and Deirdre for facilitating the Neologism ontology authoring tool). Accounts have been created for Laura, Deirdre, Patrick, Marc, and Eric. Please send a request to Laura if you need an account for this online tool.

Deirdre and Laura provided the following installation resources for Neologism:

http://code.google.com/p/neologism/downloads/list (neologism-1.0-rc8.zip  “Neologism 1.0 Release Candidate 8” is the current version)

http://drupal.org/requirements

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

http://drupal.org/node/628292 (in the installation guide, wherever it says 'Drupal', replace with 'Neologism')

The RDF ontology can be downloaded in RDF XML or N3 format by clicking on the following icons in the Neologism tool.

N3/Turtle version of this vocabulary.

RDF/XML version of this vocabulary.

Eric asked about hiding some nodes and properties from the diagram layout to provide different perspectives of the ontology. Eric to create a new RDF model for Figure 8 in http://wiki.oasis-open.org/icom. Labels in the diagram can be dragged by simultaneous pressing Ctrl and mouse click.

Eric noted that icom:Identifier is not in the RDF ontology. Need to review whether it should be defined in RDF or whether rdfs:Resource can map to icom:Identifiable.

Some auxiliary concepts, such as Identifiable, Parental, Addressable, are in adjective terms, which make sense as “mixed in” for objects in OO. Need to review whether the auxiliary concepts should be renamed to nouns.

Icom:Interface is introduced in RDF ontology to designate the abstract class concepts. Need to define a similar concept to designate the abstract properties. Need to define axioms regarding the abstract class and property.

Deidre mentioned about a workshop at DERI around end of April to get feedbacks (from DERI internal only) for the RDF ontology for ICOM and the mechanisms for abstract classes and properties.

Participants exchanged ideas for ICOM connectors for Drupal. Although Drupal may not provide API for custom clients other than the PHP web interface, it is possible to access Drupal contents in RDF format. At SemTech 2010, there is a session by DERI researchers to present the RDF access for Drupal contents, which will provide access to SIOC and other ontologies in Drupal. It is possible for ICOM to map to RDF store in Drupal. ICOM as a frontend to the RDF store opens up an access path from Java and other language API’s to Drupal contents.

4.   Review the questions posted by Deirdre and Laura

1.       Are AccessControlList, AccessControlEntry, and Marker all root classes? i.e. they are not subclasses of Entity?

Marker is a subclass of Entity. AccesssControlList and AccessControlEntity are not entities.

2.       Is the description property only associated with Scope, Space, and Folder, or is it associated with all Entities?

The TC to review whether the Description should be defined in Artifact, and why it is not defined in Entity (this is a schema issue for UML model)

3.       Should we change subCommunities to communities, as in the Group class we have groups and not subgroups?

Participants agreed to rename the attributes to subCommunities and subgroups.

4.       Could we replace elements property in Space and Folder to folders and artifacts to distinguish?

The elements property is polymorphic at  the superclass ArtifactContainer of Space and Folder. It allows us to define elementOfArtifactContainer from which we can extend two sub-properties elementOfSpace and elementOfFolder. Also need to consider the range for elementOfFolderContainer.

5.       Are the userCreatedOn/userModifiedOn properties of Artifact the same as createdOn/modifiedOn properties inherited from Entity?

The userCreatedOn and UserModifiedOn are different from the attribute in Entity.  The userCreatedOn reflects the time when the artifact is created (may be while the client is offline) while createdOn is when the artifact is actually committed into the repository. Similarly for the userModifiedOn time.

6.       Regarding the folder models, we would suggest to create separate extension models for each type of folder, e.g. calendar, addressbook, forum. Are each of these types modeled in more detail anywhere?

The TC to define the specialized folders soon.

7.       We are unsure what to do with TagApplication and CategoryApplication. Can we discuss their use-cases some more?

They are needed only for UML model, please refer to the explanation for their role in http://wiki.oasis-open.org/icom, “UML Links: Category Application, Tag Application, and Bond Entity Relation” Section 9.0. (There are no counterparts for CategoryApplication, TagApplication, and BondEntityRelation in the RDF model).

8.       Similarly, we would like to suggest not using Bonds for common use-cases. For example, if we make spaces hierarchical, there is no need for Bonds in the workspace use-case. From the wiki, it suggests that Bonds are included to address issues in translating the model to RDF. However the model should be language independent. Also, we believe that the inclusion of complex model structures may be a barrier to adoption. We are open to discussion on this point.

Eric to research the use cases of Relationship model in common repositories, such as MOF.

5.   AOB

Eric to send out the hotel rates in Redwood Shores around June 28.

Eric to include Laura as a co-presenter of ICOM poster in SemTech 2010.

The TC Meeting was adjourned.