icom message

Subject: Re: [icom] Agenda for ICOM TC Meeting on November 24, 9:00 - 10:30AM PST

Eric,

Comments on the latest draft:

3 Core Model

Figure 1 appears directly under 3? (at least on my Linux rendering)

need another sub-section.

Otherwise, when I say see chapter 3 Core Model, do I mean only figure 1
or do I mean all of chapter 3? Can say "see figure 1" but I might not.

Better to have it in a subsection.

(new) 3.1.1 Informative Depiction of Core Model

Figure 1 Entity and Top-Level Subclasses

BTW, "has the" -> "has" (in current 3.1.1.1)

Oh, can we lose the line numbers?

A properly sectioned standard should not need line numbers.

Figure 2 surprised me. It seems to just be stuck in the text prior to
3.1.5 Entity Definition.

The text should say something about the figure, why it is there, etc.

See comment for figure 1 and figure 2 for figure 3.

Does anyone else find: "When a role is active, its privileges are
applicable only for operations in the assigned scope." awkward?

I can't quite put my finger on it but it is oddly worded.

Perhaps it is in the wrong section. True, scope delimits the range of
privileges but the impact of scope on privileges should be discussed
under privileges. Yes?

Figure 4 - same comment as other figures.

BTW, I would make all implementation-dependent statements separate
paragraphs with a separate paragraph style, perhaps impl-dep. So we can
pick them out for listing in an annex later.

Same for all "must" etc., statements. (Something they do very
effectively in the SQL standard.)

Figure 5 - same comments as other figures.

Figure 6 and 7 - same comments as other figures

3.3.1.2 (Subject) Description

"A subject is an entity whose rights to perform actions within a scope
are granted and enforced according to policies of the scope."

Yes, but why the emphasis on scope?

It appears that the objects in the model are described not as objects
but in terms of the rules that bind them. That just seems like an odd
form of emphasis.

Figure 8 -same comments on figures

Figure 9 - same comments on figures

3.3.3.1 Description - split into two paragraphs.

Figure 10 - same comments on figures

3.4.1.1 split into two paragraphs

When figures have separate sections, could put in cross-refs where
useful.

Mostly split out "must" but need to also split out "may," "can," etc.

Figure 11 - same comments on figures.

3.4.7.1 - second sentence should be a note. BTW, sweep the text for
anything ending in "-ly". Probably needs to be re-written, deleted or
made into a note.

Figure 12 - same comments on figures

3.5.2.1 - split into separate paragraphs.

Figure 13 - same comments on figures

Figure 14 - same comments on figures

Thought occurs to me that the figures could have section references as
part of the diagrams, maybe. Hot-linking the graphic to sections of the
text.

3.6.1.1 split into separate paragraphs

Figure 15 - same comments on figures

Figure 16 - same comments on figures

3.6.7.1 The "Note" needs a distinct style that sets it off from other
text.

Figure 17 - same comments on figures

Figure 18 - same comments on figures

Figure 19 - same comments on figures

3.6.12.1 - improper use of note, if this is a normative constraint.
Normative statements *never* appear in notes.

Figure 20 - same comments on figures

Figure 21 - same comments on figures

4.1.2.1 Note - Is this normative? Then not a note.

4.1.3.1 Note - Is this normative? Then not a note.

4.1.4.1 Note - Normative? Not a note.

4.1.5 Note - Normative?

Stopped at 4.2.

Breaking for an early lunch.