icom message

Subject: RE: [icom] Article

Hello Patrick,

The article is to be posted on java.net to accompany a new project for ICOM JPA framework. The audience is developers who will extend the source code for ICOM JPA framework. Considering the amount of time and resource a developer has to put into understanding the source code design and data model, the amount of technical detail in this article is minimal.

We may also publish a concise version to give the gist of the project and refer the readers to the longer version.

Thanks,
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:29 AM
To: icom
Subject: [icom] Article

Eric,

I have what may seem like a silly question but here goes:

Who is the intended audience for the article?

I ask because the long stretch of UML diagrams makes me suspect it isn't
managers or users.

Starting with figure 2 where *the usage of each of the properties* is
explained.

Even if the purpose of the article is to interest even information
architects or programmers in the JPA/ICOM framework, it doesn't have to
explain every property or its usage.

Sure, a reference manual or standard has to do that, but not an article
meant to interest others in its use.

A more compelling case could be made with fewer diagrams.

For example, surely there are use cases that Oracle is already working
on using ICOM. Where integration has resulted in a benefit to the
organization.

Why not start with a very high level view of that problem and walk
through a very simplified version of ICOM?

For example, Entity represents XXX and just mentioned that all entities
have access controls (for details see the ICOM standard), etc.

I would suggest also block diagramming, at a fairly high level, what JPA
brings to ICOM.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--