icom message

Subject: Fwd: Re: ICOM model?

Greetings!

My note to the ODF Chairs and the response of Rob Weir (IBM), forwarded with his permission.

Thinking we need to discuss how to flesh out what we want to offer via email and then have this on the agenda for the next ICOM meeting.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: ICOM model?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:36:33 -0400
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com
To: Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>
CC: Michael Brauer <michael.brauer@oracle.com>

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 04/27/2011 08:59:35 PM:

> The ICOM TC is looking for TCs that might be interested in its model.
>
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=icom
>
> Basically ICOM has a formal model for collaboration which includes
> documents, email, version control, etc.
>
> ODF lacks the equivalent of Outlook, for which ICOM has a model.
>
> There as a project on that once upon a time in OpenOffice.
>
> Obviously this would be a major proposal for ODF but I wanted to broach
> the topic of mentioning ICOM t the TC with the two of you first.

Hi Patrick,

I'd be interested in hearing more what they had in mind.   Right now the
leading open source mail clients are the ones that come with the Linux
distros, as well as Mozilla Thunderbird:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

The text format for emails tends to either be pure text, or MIME-encoded
"enriched text" per RFC 1896:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1896

This is old, and primitive, but it is the lingua franca for emails.  I
don't think there would be much possibility of making an ODF-based rich
text format for emails, since (to be successful) that would require
getting all email clients to support it.

However, there are many possible and even useful connections between the
world of documents and the world of collaboration and social computing. If
anyone wants to have an informal discussion on the subject, I'd be glad to
provide a teleconference line for a meeting.

Regards,

-rob