icom message

Subject: Draft Minutes of ICOM TC Meeting, May 11, 2011

Draft minutes of the OASIS ICOM TC meeting dated 11 May 2011
Compiled by Peter Yim

Please review and advise any additions or amendments.

Thanks & regards.  =ppy

------

= Minutes of ICOM TC Meeting - 11 May 2011 9:00~10:40am PDT =

== Agenda: ==

1. Roll Call

2. Approve draft minutes for 27 April 2011 TC Meeting

3. Discuss where developers meet ontologists in enabling flexible
interoperable collaboration services.

Peter Yim will convene the discussions around the proposition: the
viability, plans, and actions toward making ICOM a focal point where
software engineers and ontologists who are working on interoperability
can have something tangible to work on. Peter will leverage some of
the arguments developed in the (just finished) "Ontology Summit 2011:
Making the Case for Ontology" to support this proposition. Ref.
opening slides at:
http://yim.cim3.net/file/pub/presentation/ICOM_enabling-flexible-interoperability--PeterYim_20110511a.pdf

4. Follow up to Patrick's liaison with ODF TC Chairs:
http://www.oasisopen.org/apps/org/workgroup/icom/email/archives/201104/msg00012.html

5. AOB

== Proceedings: ==

1. The following members were present.

Eric Chan
Laura Dragan
Patrick Durusau
Deirdre Lee
Peter Yim

2. Minutes for the 27 April 2011 TC Meeting was approved

3. Discussion: casting ICOM as a platform where developers meet
ontologists to enable flexible interoperable collaboration services

Peter Yim convened the discussions around the proposition: the
viability, plans, and actions toward making ICOM a focal point where
software engineers and ontologists who are working on interoperability
can have something tangible to work on. Peter kicked-off the
discussion with a few slides, which can be found
at: http://yim.cim3.net/file/pub/presentation/ICOM_enabling-flexible-interoperability--PeterYim_20110511a.pdf

Here are some notes taken during this discussion:
//
Eric S. Chan: hope to use ICOM as a platform

Eric S. Chan: assumptions: we have produced executable, logical,
ontology of a collaboration system

Eric S. Chan: normative in English and UML/OO, non-normative RDF/OWL specs

Eric S. Chan: model for computational efficiency for interoperability
(n x n) to (2 x n) complexity

Eric S. Chan: provide detailed model (inherits encapsulated knowledge)
that developers can leverage

Eric S. Chan: move natural language-based standards to Ontology-based
standards like Ontolog, OMG, NIST, IAOA

Eric S. Chan: through pilot applications, show benefits of ICOM that
would not be achieved without ICOM

Eric S. Chan: Ontology Summit 2009 Communique "Towards Ontology-based Standards"

Deirdre: one consensus from Ontology Summit 2011 (Making the Case for
Ontology) is that most people are not enthusiastic about the word
'ontology'

Deirdre: perhaps better to focus on the benefits of ontology for them

Eric S. Chan: To Make the case for ontology, demonstrate solutions to
the prevalent problems, ontology-based specification of ICOM and
applications/systems is a vehicle

Eric S. Chan: Eric draws analogy to Smalltalk / Java model, ICOM can
be analogous to model of VM, Scheduler, Control Flow elements of a
language in Smalltalk, which are hidden in Java

Eric S. Chan: ICOM provides ontology of the ontology development tools
with concepts that permeates the development of other domain
ontologies

Eric S. Chan: natural language vs. computable language, ICOM spec is
largely natural language based

Eric S. Chan: but it already has UML and RDF, need to strengthen the
machine processable part of ICOM spec

Eric S. Chan: align with like-minded people among ontology development
communities

Eric S. Chan: JSON, linked data API extracts the data in JSON to hide
the less developer friendly RDF or SPARQL

Deirdre: see: http://code.google.com/p/linked-data-api/

Deirdre: "For some web developers the need to understand the RDF data
model and associated serializations and query language (SPARQL) has
proved a barrier to adoption of linked data. This project seeks to
develop APIs, data formats and supporting tools to overcome this
barrier. Including, but not limited to, accessing linked data via a
developer-friendly JSON format. "

PeterYim: Deidre will look into the LOD-JSON scenario and tell us more
about it next week

PeterYim: Peter suggested we first enumerate what we want to do. Such
as the following ...

PeterYim: ref. a recent call from OMG for support on their "Semantic
Information Modeling for Federation (SIMF)" effort -
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/2011-04/msg00236.html

Eric S. Chan: develop pilot application that uses Java/RDF executable
model, using content from Ontolog forum or Linked data

PeterYim: possibly collaboration with the Ontolog community can
possibly be: (i) using ICOM on Ontolog's collective body-of-knowledge
(the Ontolog data sets) to provide more value, and (ii) using ICOM to
produce a better tool/platform in something like OOR. [(i) is
something we had already started earlier - ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2010_08_05#nid2FC6

PeterYim: as to how we can enlist more ontology or software
development resources (e.g. by offering them as student projects to
some of the academics in the Ontolog community) we can format our
shortlist into "bite-size" projects - with a title, a description ,
and skill-set needed - and get them to professors who might just be
happy to put students onto those projects
//

4. Discussion postpone on the follow up to Patrick's liaison with ODF
TC Chairs:  http://www.oasisopen.org/apps/org/workgroup/icom/email/archives/201104/msg00012.html
... in fact, today's discussion is in line with and jives well with
what Patrick proposed earlier in the 27 Apr 2011 meeting. We will
delve into this some more at our next meeting.

5. AOB.

None.

6. Action items:

ALL to continue thinking through who we can/should collaborate with
and what pilot projects/demos would be good. We can discuss this via
email or bring them up at the next meeting.

Deidre will look into the LOD-JSON scenario, and how the availability
of ICOM java classes may be conducive to our making playing out the
"developers meet ontologist" approach. She will tell us more about it
next week

Peter to prepare the minutes for this meeting.

The TC Meeting was adjourned.

---