Subject: Fwd: [id-cloud] Permission to post TC Document draft to NIST

Re:

> Can you clarify what URL to use? Svn is members only, no?

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/id-cloud/201106/msg00045.html

Chet Ensign is on vacation and Paul Knight is not subscribed to
this list (last I looked), so here's some guidance about "what
URL to use"

1.  IIRC, the document in question is not actually approved in
     its revision "id-cloud-use-cases-draft-01t" - That is, the
     ballot for approval was canceled, I think:
     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/id-cloud/201106/msg00042.html

2.  It's not a great idea in general to place links on external
     sites to draft TC work (arguably), but it's not forbidden. On the
     other hand, the if my memory is correct in #1, then the
     information on the document cover page could be
     misleading, because the document status is incorrect.
     It would not be a Committee Draft (would need to be
     "Committee Specification Draft when TC Admin processes
     the request) it's not approved in Version 0.1t

The document displays:

Identity in the Cloud - Use Cases
Version 1.0
Committee Draft
10 June 2011, Draft Version 0.1t
"... This document was last revised or approved by the
OASIS Identity in the Cloud TC on the above date...."

3. TC Process is clear about storing "Editable formats"
in Kavi ( = TC's document repository).  See:

"File Formats. Editable formats of all versions of TC documents must
be delivered to the TC's document repository. Working Drafts may be in
any format (i.e. produced by any application). All approved versions
of OASIS Deliverables must be delivered to the TC's document
repository in the (1) editable source, (2) HTML or XHTML, and (3) PDF
formats; and the TC must explicitly designate one of those delivered
formats as the authoritative document. Any links referenced by the TC
shall be to the HTML, XHTML and/or PDF formats stored using
repositories and domain names owned by OASIS and as approved by the TC
Administrator."

TC document repository: see
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#tc-document-repository

4. And note the above: "Any links referenced by the TC shall be to the
HTML, XHTML and/or PDF formats"  - so, making references to the .doc
format is not what TC Process calls for in that section:

http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process-2010-07-28#quality-fileFormats

The reason is that HTML/XHTML are native to the web (for immediate web
reading), and typically any browser will also render a PDF.  Since any
application can be used for creating editable source,
the TC Process does not include "Editable format" in the statement
about links.  The editable source would be more useful if someone is
creating a derivative work, as is permitted by the OASIS rules.

5. Per some earlier communications, I think: you note that material
created/stored
in Wiki or SVN needs to be copied to the official TC Repository:

"At least once a month (unless no work has been done), and prior to
each TC meeting at which one or more draft documents will be
discussed, Working Draft level material for any/all such documents
must be uploaded to the TC document repository, properly identified
according to the OASIS Naming Directives; links to the non-Kavi
publication venues are insufficient
All TC member reviews and ballots must be based on Working Draft level
content as posted to the TC document repository (links to the non-Kavi
system are insufficient)..."

Contact me or Paul Knight for additional information about the OASIS policies
and practices.

- Robin Cover

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/people/staff/robin-cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html