idtrust-ms message

Subject: Re: Nomination of John Sabo for the OASIS IDtrust Member Section Steering Committee

IDtrust Member Section:

I accept the nomination for election to the IDtrust Member Section Steering Committee, and thank Michael Willett for nominating me.

I have been very active in support of the Member Section as Chair of the Steering Committee for several years and have been a member of the IDtrust MS since its formation.   As a member of the Steering Committee, I coordinate closely with OASIS staff and other committee members in developing and managing the Member Section budget, identify and support TC resource and budget requests, coordinate with OASIS leadership on special initiatives, help plan OASIS and Member Section-supported conferences, and represent the Member Section as a speaker at conferences and events.

The IDtrust Member Section adds great value to affiliated TC's and their members, particularly TCs which need resources to support their work. I would be honored to continue as a member of the committee for another term and ask for your support.

I'm inserting a short bio below.

John Sabo

John Sabo is an independent consultant on data privacy and cyber security, with an extensive background in privacy, cyber security and critical infrastructure protection policies and practices in both the private sector and government.  He is active in the development of privacy standards in the OASIS standards development organization.

John chairs the OASIS “Privacy Management Reference Model (PMRM)” Technical Committee and Chairs the OASIS IDtrust Member Section Steering Committee.  He is also a member of the OASIS “Privacy by Design Documentation for Software Engineers (PbD-SE)” Technical Committee.

In his industry career, John most recently was Senior Director, Global Government Relations, at CA Technologies, providing technology policy leadership for CA in industry and government-led data cyber security, privacy, and critical infrastructure protection initiatives and industry consortia from 2000 to 2012. Prior to his career at CA Technologies, John was Business Development Director in IBM’s Network Computing Software Division.

John has served as a board member and President of the Information Technology-Information Sharing and Analysis Center (IT-ISAC), was a member of the IT Sector Coordinating Council, and was Chair of the ISAC Council (now National Council of ISACs).  He served as member of the Department of Homeland Security’s Data Privacy and Integrity Advisory Committee and was a long-term member of the NIST Information Security and Privacy Advisory Board.

In his government career, John was Director of the U.S. Social Security Administration’s Electronic Services Staff, culminating a 24-year government career, including senior management roles. He founded the agency’s Web-based online services program and represented the agency in cross-government committees developing policies and implementations for e-government services, security and privacy-compliant identity systems

Contributing to formal consultations and expert panels, John is an invited speaker at international security and privacy conferences, has authored published journal articles, and contributes to technical studies on security, privacy and trust issues.

John holds degrees from King’s College (Pennsylvania) and the University of Notre Dame, and is a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).