ihc message

Subject: XML 2004 and Dec. TC Meeting

Hi Humlers, and others

I am copying several TCs with this since it may be useful information for them.

I wanted to report on the XML 2004 conference where I gave a
presentation and where several face to face TC meetings occurred,
including one combined meeting between the International Health
Continuum TC and the Business Dentric Methods TC which has some
direct impacts for our work.

In my role of (currently) informal liaison to the IHC TC, I gave a
short overview summary of the Unified Modeling Language, UML, as the
modeling tool of choice to use in developing use cases and class
hierrachies for systematizally exploring the limitations and
applicability of existing standards in the healthcare field with the
same basic intent as HumanML has to inclusively reconcile and
harmonize these existing vocabularies and to see if there is a need
for a "bridging" language/schema set that can make a cohesive whole
for the healthcare field on an international basis, as we also wish
to do for individual human information resources.

This suggests to me that it would be wise for our HPCDML SC effort to
align itself to the IHC for this effort. I can continue providing
liaison service for this for as long as it takes to recruit some new
members from this interest area. This also fits well with the liaison
work I have been doing with the Emergency Management TC and WSRP TC.
It also fits well with our plans to begin work on a Human Preferences
and Personalization ML effort in the Mediation SC after the start of
the new year. Developing clear crosswalks and common thesauri for
healthcare purposes in HPCDML that can be accommodated in the overall
structure of HPPML for supplying individualized userContext, and
(using existing Human Resources standards from HR-XML Consortium with
XACML-Extensible Access Control ML) userCategories(roles) is a set of
tasks that it makes sense to approach as a combined whole.

The IHC is going to explore attmpting to secure industry-standard UML
tools such as Rational to use for developing formal object models
such as class and activity(state) diagrams from which base code can
be generated, and I suggest we do the same. I will be investigating
this further, but I wanted to make my own preference on this known.
When we last visited this topic three years ago, it was a much
different landscape out there than now. However, with eclipse going
open source and with NetBeans freely available, too, we have common
available IDE platforms that are xml-based or xml-adaptable, and can
also be used with UML modelers, so it now makes very good sense for
standardized OO programming principles to be included as adjuncts at
the least in our work. This will make our work much more easily
adoptable, not to mention that it paves the way for our own efforts
and serves as an added incentive for corporate members of OASIS to
join in our work and bring resources we don't now have to these tasks.

This is very important for a variety of reasons which we can discuss
more at length, but I also wanted to start this discussion moving.
Because some of us already use Python, and Python is also well suited
to UML, our open source efforts as well as open standards work is
furthered by this approach, and there are now better freeware or
shareware UML tools available, so that we are not working at the
significant disadvantage we would have been previously.

On other matters, the presentation on using CAP and WSRP together in
a public service portal went better than I expected considering that
we were only informed the Wednesday before the conference that no
internet connection would be available in the speaker rooms. However,
having had more than enough similar occurrences in the past, I was
prepared to switch to an all-slides presentation rather than
demonstrating the portal live. The session was well attended, well
received and generated some promising interest in the effort to begin
using these newly approved standards in combination to multiply the
overall value of the package. Len Bullard attended, and it was a
pleasure to finally meet Len, since we have been working together for
what seems like forever, but has been about six years now. There is
much more I could on about, but this was the heart of what I wanted
Humlers to know about.

Lastly, since I allowed our normal TC meeting for November to slide
due to the conference and Thanksgiving occurring back to back, and
because we have the next batch of holidays at Solstice racing up on
us, I suggest we have a special, out of sequence TC meeting either
next week of the week after on Wednesday, December 8 or Wednesday,
December 15 at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Ciao,
Rex

--