ihc message

Subject: UML Tools

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give you all a brief update about what I have learned
about both GEFEG's UML product EDIFIX and a free UML Modeler that I
may be using until/if we are allowed a reasonable legnth of time for
an evaluation or not-for-profit license for IBM's revamped Rational
toolset when it is released sometime in January.  That UML modeler is
available from Visual Paradigm, under its "Community Edition" at

http://www.visual-paradigm.com

Visual Paradigm is a Hong Kong company, so the tutorials have some
interesting translation constructions, but it makes for a nice
International Package with the German GEFEG's EDIFIX product.

Just FYI, Gefeg's EDIFIX is not a modeler. What it does is take a UML
model and output an XML Schema and documentation as well as basic
code from the model which can then be used by our various member
companies to test how our candidate specifications perform, or how
our thesari or equivalence-mapped vocabularies perform. Likewise, VP
for UML is a full featured UML modeler, and it also outputs or
reverse engineers program code which can also be output to work with
the major IDEs, with a separate modeule for Visual Studio .NET using
Visual Paradigm Suite which includes Smart Development Envvronment
for Eclipse, NetBeans, JBuilderIntelliJ IDEA and WebLogic Workshop.
No, I don't own stock in this company. I am slogging through the
tutorials along with the EDIFIX Manual..

As far as I can tell at this point, just about the only things that
this set of programs lacks that Rational had is the ability to track
project development, along with runtime simulation testing and
monitoring, which was one of the key features of Rational that I was
looking forward to using. However, who knows what will be available
in the new Rational suite that is being developed under the code term
Atlantic. Hopefully, IBM will release the newly reconfigured Rational
Suite at about the time I will be ready to test it with their
Websphere Application Server v6.0 which is now available. Since I
work cross platform and maintain a vendor agnostic approach to
Enterprise-wide IT Integration, I just happen to be very interested
in these intersections. They also tend to make the standards we are
investigating somewhat more universal in applicability.

Regardless, I just wanted to make sure you all know that we have
relatively full-featured toolsets available on which to build and
test our standards.

Ciao,
Rex
--