ihc message

Subject: [ihc] Operational Model for IHC

I joined Brett on the call this morning. I spoke to him about the 'operating model' for this TC. Other TCs I have belonged to have relied on a (or more) large company to provide the resources that have enabled the TC to function (picking up the teleconference calls, etc) and providing a 'spotlight' to attract additional participants/attention. I have heard some people advocate for this approach for this TC; or more properly question if the TC can be successful without the endoresement of major players.

I suggested to Brett that this TC try and get backing--financial and media--from one or more of the foundations that have a history of supporting health care reform. I would like to see this issue be on the agenda or list for discussion.

Personally I believe there is more mutuality of objectives with various advocacy groups and foundations than either the vendors or the corporations. Most established businesses are more comfortable getting behind an idea or effort that already has traction. Foundations are usually more acustomed to initiating ideas. And I am assuming we are not talking about a huge amount of dollars to provide the wherewithall for us to do enough work to produce intial work products. And .. advocacy groups are not infrequently funded by businesses who want change but prefer to keep some distance at least in the beginning.

Any other ideas on an operational model for this TC? Any suggestions on foundations/advocacy groups to pursue?

Sally