ihc message

Subject: Groups - Enhancing IHE XDS for Federated Clinical Affinity Domain Support (DogacLaleciAdenEichelberg.pdf) uploaded

One of the key problems in healthcare informatics
is the inability to share patient records across enterprises.
To address this problem, an important industry initiative called
"Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE)" specified the "Cross
Enterprise Document Sharing (XDS)" Profile.

In the IHE XDS, healthcare enterprises that agree to work together form a
"Clinical Affinity Domain" and store healthcare documents
in an ebXML registry/repository architecture to facilitate their sharing.
The affinity domains also agree on a common set of policies
such as coding lists to be used to annotate
clinical documents in the registry/repository and the common schemes for
patient identification. However, since patients expect their records to
follow them as they move from one clinical affinity domain to another,
there is a need for affinity domains to be federated to enable information
exchange.

In this article we describe how IHE XDS can be enhanced to support
federated clinical affinity domains. We demonstrate that
federation of affinity domains are facilitated when ontologies,
rather than coding term lists, are used to annotate
clinical documents.
Furthermore we describe a patient identification protocol
that eliminates the need to keep a master patient index file for the
federation.

This work is performed within the scope of the Artemis project
(http://www.srdc.metu.edu.tr/webpage/projects/artemis/)
 supported by the European Commission and a shorter version of this article
is submitted for publication.

 -- Ms. Asuman Dogac*

The document named Enhancing IHE XDS for Federated Clinical Affinity Domain
Support (DogacLaleciAdenEichelberg.pdf) has been submitted by Ms. Asuman
Dogac* to the OASIS International Health Continuum (IHC) TC document
repository.

Document Description:
[...]

In this paper we describe how IHE XDS can be enhanced to support
federated clinical affinity domains. We demonstrate that
federation of affinity domains are facilitated when ontologies,
rather than coding term lists, are used to annotate
clinical documents.
Furthermore we describe a patient identification protocol
that eliminates the need to keep a master patient index file
for the federation.

View Document Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ihc/document.php?document_id=13347

Download Document: