ihc message

Subject: Personal Health Information workshop

I apologize for cross-posts <ed/>

September 30, 2005
New York City
www.release1-0.com/events/

I’m writing to invite you to my Personal Health Information (PHI) workshop on September 30 in New York City. If you care about the business of collection, management and use of personal health information, whether you are an entrepreneur, investor, IT vendor, policymaker or a health-care provider, you will want to participate.

To make effective use of the capital that investors, government and the public (individuals, employers and insurers) will be pouring into this sector over the next decade, the market first needs to see itself more clearly: Investors need to see models of success, and start-ups need to understand what competitors and potential partners are doing. At the PHI workshop, you will meet other early entrants, see examples of what is already happening in the field, and then discuss what could and should happen. It’s a unique chance to get comprehensive exposure to a nascent, unformed market ripe with opportunities.

"Esther’s insights in Release 1.0 were the single most important influence on me as I planned and executed the integration of Pfizer and Pharmacia's technical infrastructure."

- Jonathan White, Pfizer
Release 1.0 subscriber since 2000

Each type of player in the PHI market will have a different role, but overall the best strategy - and the best outcome - is to improve personal health information liquidity, the ability of that information to move around relatively friction-free. That is, it’s not enough just to collect or to store personal health information; it must be shared (under privacy controls) and used in new applications by both patients and health-care providers. Those kinds of tangible benefits, not the mere presence of a record, will drive the market for personal health information forward.  That’s the goal - and the ways to achieve it - that we’ll be discussing on Friday, September 30.

We’ll also talk about what could happen when many of those records can be aggregated (again with proper privacy protection) for use in public health, epidemiology and evidence-based medicine of all kinds. What kinds of better-targeted treatment will be possible? How real will the promise of "personal medicine" be in five or ten years? And finally, what are the potential side-effects - discrimination in employment, denial of coverage, the very real issues around privacy and individuals’ desire (or not) to know the truth about their own conditions - and how can we guard against them?

"Over the years, Esther has consistently shown the uncanny ability to identify important IT trends well before others do....and then bring together those new  ideas, the right people and the best technologies, and synthesize it all into concrete business opportunities."

- Jim Breyer, Accel Partners
Release 1.0 subscriber since 1993

At Release 1.0, we have a 28-year history of putting IT innovations in context, from standards to specifics, from infrastructure to applications, from economics to policy, from technology to business. We also know how to bring investors, entrepreneurs, policymakers and customers together to move markets forward. Come join us in this exciting opportunity on September 30! To register, visit www.release1-0.com/events/

Speakers will include:
Larry Augustin, CEO, Medsphere Systems/Vista
Giovanni Colella, President & CEO, RelayHealth
George Church, Professor of Genetics, and Director, Lipper Center for Computational Genetics, Harvard Medical School
Carol Diamond, Managing Director, Health Program, Markle Foundation
Ed Fotsch, CEO, Medem
Carol McCall, VP, Center for Health Metrics, Humana
Ryan Phelan, Founder & CEO, DNADirect
Jeffrey Rideout, VP, Internet Business Solutions Group, Healthcare Practice, Cisco Systems
Paul Sheils, CEO, Aetna Health Information Solutions
Charles Silver, President & CEO, RealAge
Jonathan White, Senior VP, Planning, HHIT and Business Development, Pfizer

Yours,

Esther Dyson
Editor, Release 1.0
edyson@release1-0.com

PS - Register today for the Personal Health Information workshop on September 30. Feel free to pass this invitation along to a colleague as well.