ihc message

Subject: FW: 1/13/06 - HITSP Update from John D. Halamka MD

FYI

From: Michelle Maas Deane [mailto:mmaasdeane@ANSI.ORG]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 2:26 PM
To: HITSP@MAILLIST.ANSI.ORG
Subject: 1/13/06 - HITSP Update from John D. Halamka MD

Folks:

A busy week following our Panel meeting

1.  On January 17th, I will present an overview of HITSP to AHIC.   I'll emphasize the open, transparent consensus-based process we've established.

2.  The Use Case Committee workgroups (Consumer Empowerment, EHR and Biosurveillance) are

finalizing their use cases using the ONC template, in preparation for final submission to ONC January 18th.    I've spoken to several Use Case Committee members and ensured that all opinions are being heard and a wide diversity of opinions will be incorporated into our use cases.    ONC will review the HITSP use cases as well as the use cases prepared by the NHIN contractors.   We can expect a final, harmonized set of detailed use cases from ONC by late February/early March.

List serve capability has been provided for each Use Case workgroup.  Sharepoint access for Use Case Committee work products is being implemented.

Preparations are underway for the Feb. 21-24 Use Case Technical Committee meeting in Chicago. A call for participation with

logistics will be circulated next week.

3.  We're continuing to work on our "inventory of standards inventories".   At the panel I spoke with staff from NIST and the National Alliance for the Health Information Technology (NAHIT).  We're working with both groups to leverage the tools they have developed and the early standards inventory database work they have done.

4.  Followup items from the panel meeting
Our final edits to the charter are complete and we will distribute the finished draft to all panel members next week.    We'll also send out a call for nominations from the additional consumer Board seat.    Fran and I are continuing to review the provider representation on the panel and the board.  We're collecting further opinions about the name for the HITSP work product.  'Interoperability' occurs in most the suggested names.   ONC has advised us that it may be too early to finalize the name of our work products, so in the short term we'll use the terms Implementation Guide and Integration Profile when referring to work products that meet the widely understood definition of those terms.

5.  Committees
We have drafted the committee charter for the Steve Lieber's Business Modeling Commmittee.   We worked with Lisa Carnahan from NIST/ONC to set the terms of reference for the standards readiness committee, and expect to distribute them next week.