ihc message

Subject: RE: [ihc] Throwing more money at the problem?

Fulton,

Well argued.

However - of course the converse is true too - the indicators will also expose certain egregious inequities in the current system - and hence certain sectors may not be rushing to embrace this all - but we'll try not to highlight that aspect. ; -)

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
From: Fulton Wilcox <fulton.wilcox@coltsnecksolutions.com>
Date: Tue, March 06, 2007 10:29 pm
To: "'David RR Webber (XML)'" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: ihc@lists.oasis-open.org

Dave,

I certainly agree that merit pay has merit, as do the other examples that you mention to align tangible commitment and "points."

On the other hand, the Health Indicators data is needed to provide some evidence that a new input – e.g., a merit or pay for results pay plan – produces a net upward delta – e.g., improved healthiness outputs or some other payoff – e.g. improved staff retention, presuming that in turn staff retention generates better health indicator feedback.

At the policy level, it becomes hard to select among the myriad of good initiatives (and hardly anyone advances an initiative that is wholly without merit). It is also hard to propagate best practice, unless there is pretty substantive data to persuade others to follow suit and to guide them in shaping their own implementations.

                                                            Fulton Wilcox
                                                            Colts Neck Solutions LLC