ihc message

Subject: Yesterday's Collaborative Expedition Workshop #62

Hi Folks,

I've been attending and presenting at these
collaboration workshops for five years now. The
first presentation I gave was at #36. It seems
unreal that this was #62.

Here's the url for the workshop yesterday:
http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ExpeditionWorkshop/AdvancingVirtualOrganization_2007_06_20

All of the presentations are downloadable.

Ian Ļoster's presentation on Service Oriented
Science is really important for connecting the
dots of how all this health-related activity can
be pulled together and work together, enabling
the kind of multiplier effect we are all hoping
will lift Healthcare IT from the depths of
paper-anchored catacombs.

Christopher Mackie's presentation on
Cyberinfratstucture supports Ian's presentation
on Service Oriented Science is particularly
cogent in the context of not letting go of the
tiger's tail. It's a very pragmatic approach to
how to ensure that cyberinfrastructure,
especially in academia remains strong after
initial funding dwindles. It includes references
to actual software development projects.

The Trans-Enterprise Service Grid presentation
was given by David Ellis from Sandia Labs, with
whom I work on a regular basis in the OASIS
Emergency Management TC, and it highlights both
the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) as a message
payload, and the Emergency Data Exchange Language
Distribution Element (EDXL-DE) for message
routing. Since messaging is what makes web
services work, whether using SOAP or REST, the
concept of the Service Grid is what makes the
Service Oriented (Architecture) Science and
Health Grid mentioned in the other presentations
work.

Michelle Warner's presentation on the Health Grid
from the perspective of the National Governors
Association is another dose of pragmatism. It is
a wise inclusion, since the level of state
cooperation basically dictates the actual
viability of all national health initiatives.

Saul Rosenberg, whose presentation highlighted
the concept of the Health Grid, is HQd across the
SF Bay from me, and I think I will be working
with him in an associated-follow-up project to
support his registry-based PTSD/Head/Brain injury
early diagnosis service. I met him through Marc
Wine in the GSA Office of Intergovernmental
Solutions.

This wiki page is a rich set of resources,
especially down in the Resources Section toward
the bottom of the page.

Cheers,
Rex

--