kmip-comment message

Subject: Re: [kmip-comment] Possible solution to referencing issues

On 30/03/2014 1:47 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> First, let me confirm that KMIP-Spec 1.2 is a superset of KMIP-spec 1.1 and KMIP-spec 1.0.

There are behaviours within KMIP-Spec 1.2 that are not compatible with KMIP-Spec 1.1 and KMIP-Spec 1.0 and they have to be referred to separately and each version of the specification documents a particular major.minor version of the protocol. Make it clearer - KMIP-Spec 1.2 does not document KMIP protocol version 1.0 or protocol version 1.1.
Each specification is independent of the other specifications and the profiles have to cover all three versions of the specification.

The test cases document the normative conformance message flows and values and the allowed variations document where an implementation is permitted to vary the details form the normative message flows - that is their point and function. The profiles document a set of messages that represent the minimal message flows required for conformance to a given profile.

As a technical committee we explored a number of different approaches for handling cross-version references and for handling documented conformance requirements and the approach we have in the profile documents represents the one which allows specification of conformance sufficiently precisely to meet the interoperability objective.

Thanks,
Tim.