kmip-comment message

Subject: Clarification on Key Value for wrapped objects

Hi all,

While running tests TC-WRAP-*-14, I started to wonder how to properly format Key Values for wrapped objects and would really appreciate any help to clarify that.

Those tests expect wrapped keys to be within a Key Material, both when registering and when retrieving wrapped objects. E.g.:

<KeyValue>
    <KeyMaterial type="ByteString" value="1fa68b0a8112b447aef34bd8fb5a7b829d3e862371d2cfe5"/>
</KeyValue>

However, that seems to go against what is defined on the specification. The Key Value's description states that it may either be a Structure, if the object is not wrapped, or a Byte String, if the object is wrapped.

Therefore, I would expect wrapped objects to have a Key Value without any Key Material. E.g.:

<KeyValue type="ByteString" value="1fa68b0a8112b447aef34bd8fb5a7b829d3e862371d2cfe5"/>

Which is the correct format?

On a related note, TC-WRAP-1-14 seems to be missing the Unwrap flag on the KEK (though I don't know how to properly report that, now that the public review has ended).

Best Regards,

Gabriel Francisco Mandaji,
Desenvolvedor de Software
KRYPTUS EED S/A