Subject: Re: [kmip] Groups - Sun 32-bit Binary Alignment Proposal,v3 (Sun 32-bit Binary Alignment Proposal.pdf) uploaded

Hi Larry,

The straw poll is still on, and will close on Wednesday.

I personally like the 64-bit proposal as technically better and more suitable to a wider range of processors.  I know that IPv6 requires 64-bit alignment, so there is definitely precedent for this.  However, keeping the alignment to 32-bits might make it a little easier to migrate existing implementations.

Cheers,
-Matt

Larry.Hofer@Emulex.Com wrote:
CB376E1C24DB4A43A1D596B2BC1BD82877193CC0D3@EXMAIL.ad.emulex.com" type="cite">
Hi Matt,

I will be casting a vote for preference to resolve the 64 bit concern, since now is easier than later to resolve.
I wasn't sure if we were still doing the straw poll.

Larry H

From: Matthew.Ball@Sun.COM [mailto:Matthew.Ball@Sun.COM]
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 12:39 PM
To: Rene Pawlitzek; kmip@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Rene: The examples in v4 from May 1 should be correct (see http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/kmip/download.php/32357/Sun%2032-bit%20Binary%20Alignment%20Proposal.pdf).

Everyone else: Please let me know if you have any other comments or corrections on either the 32-bit or 64-bit alignment proposals.  I've corrected some typos and will push out new versions tomorrow with any feedback received before then.

So far, the straw poll is showing a preference for the 32-bit proposal (with 20% reporting).

Cheers,
-Matt

Rene Pawlitzek wrote:
OF6512D925.EAC4BC45-ONC12575AC.0035AA64-C12575AC.0035BC09@ch.ibm.com" type="cite">