Subject: Re: [kmip] Diagram showing difference between 32-bit and 64-bit binaryalignment proposals

Matt,
A 32-bit alignment constraint means that TTL (Tag/Type/Length) can be 8 or 12 bytes, and Value a multiple of 4 bytes.
A 64-bit alignment constraint means that TTL is 8 bytes (or even a multiple thereof), and Value a multiple of 8 bytes.

Hence, the decisions on the TTL and Value do not seem to be completely independent.

I'd suggest that:

1) we decide first which alignment to follow first: 32-bit or 64-bit, and
2) we decide next the size of the TTL, in accordance with the alignment, as explained above.

Regards,
-Robert