Subject: RE: [kmip] question regarding conformance statement for KMIP

Bruce -

OK, I understand what you are saying.  However, I wonder about a standard with no required exchanges for claiming conformance.  There should be something the system must handle to claim conformance.  If you can answer "not supported" to every object and still say you are conformant, you have delivered nothing of value and that waters down the claims of truly conformant systems.

- Peter

From: Bruce Rich [mailto:brich@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 2009-05-14 8:27 AM
To: Zelechoski, Peter
Cc: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org; robert.griffin@rsa.com

Peter,

I'm not sure what you meant by "mandatory object".  It would seem that all objects are optional, as the server's response to a Query Objects operation specifies those objects that the server supports, and all the managed objects are potential entries in that list. So if a server does not wish to support registration of SplitKey, then it would simply omit SplitKey from the list of objects that it claims it will support (if the client bothers to ask via Query Objects).

Bruce A Rich
brich at-sign us dot ibm dot com