Subject: Re: [kmip] KMIP to P1619.3 Mapping

On 2009-May-17, at 05:47, Benjamin Tomhave wrote:

| That doesn't really answer the question of why it should be a
priority.
> It seems the focus should be getting the draft into a community
> standard
> asap, implemented by 3+ vendors as POC, and then moved into a full
> standard. Anything that potentially distracts or detracts from that
> seems to be counter-productive.

It is a priority because there are vendors pursuing implementation
of both standards tracks.

Far from being counter-productive, the parallel efforts of KMIP
and P1619.3 play important roles in the general Key Management
Service architecture.    Through joint parallel standards efforts,
we speed up the standardization of a full Key Management Service
architecture.

There is close overlap between KMIP and P1619.3 in both membership
and product implementation efforts.  We are fortunate in that both
standards
are complementary.  And as the spreadsheet matrix shows, differences
between the two are minor.

By receiving feedback on the public document from P1619.3, we
have much to gain by their considerable experience.  And while we
are not under any obligation to respond to such feedback, the KMIP
TC stands to gain from their input where P1619.3 and KMIP meet
in the Key Management Service architecture.

Cisco regards he ability to be both KMIP and P1619.3 compliant as
an extremely important ability.

chongo (Landon Curt Noll) /\oo/\

=-=