Subject: RE: [kmip] RE: question regarding conformance statement for KMIP

I like the use of tables to indicate what objects and operations are mandatory or optional.  I'd prefer to see them in the respective clauses on objects and operations (e.g., at the beginning of the clause, and the table itself can include a link to the subclause from the row for the item, so it serves as a mini TOC also).

But I think that the KMIP Standard (and not the Usage Guide) should be the sole keeper of the compliance definition (with respect to support of objects and operations).  How to reference KMIP, etc, seems fine in the Usage Guide.

thanks,
Rod Wideman
Quantum Corporation
(please disregard the confidentiality statement below)

From: Robert Lockhart [mailto:Robert.Lockhart@thalesesec.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:09 PM
To: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org

I agree there should be additions to the conformance section.  I have included several proposed changes (as requested a few meetings ago) as a place to start.  They include conformance claims, a table of required vs. optional items for both client and server (to be filled in), reference guidelines when claiming conformance by another standard and usage guidelines when using KMIP without claiming conformance.

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/kmip/download.php/32554/Conformance_Clause_Proposal.doc

Not sure if this is what you were looking for from me Bob & Tony when you asked but this is what I have so far.  Looking for feedback.

Bob L.

Robert A. (Bob) Lockhart

Senior Solutions Architect

THALES Information Systems Security