Subject: Re: [kmip] Support for repeated fields and multiple attribute instancesdetermination?

Rod,

"Rod Wideman" <Rod.Wideman@quantum.com> wrote on 06/11/2009 01:51:57 AM:

> How does a client determine how many instances of repeatable fields
> or multiple attributes are supported by a key server for a given
> object or operation? Presumably different key servers will have
> different limits.

In the editorial changes I proposed last week the following item was included:

"11.2, 11.3, 11.4, 11.14 (Create, Create Key Pair, Register, Add Attribute): Add a new Result Reason of "Index Out of Bounds" if the client tries to set more attribute instances than the server allows."

Note that the client won't know ahead of time what is the maximum number of instances supported for a given attribute by a given server: it is expected to be reasonably large so that such "out of bounds" errors occur only rarely.

In terms of repeatable fields in operation requests and responses, only the maximum size of a response can be set by the client. So far, servers are expected to handle all request sizes. Is this acceptable?

Regards,
-Robert