Subject: RE: [kmip] Mutating Attributes

I think failing the request would make more sense, even in these cases.

thanks,
Rod Wideman
Quantum Corporation
(please disregard the confidentiality statement below)

From: Robert Haas [mailto:rha@zurich.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:52 AM
To: Frindell,Alan
Cc: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org

Alan,

The main reasons why a server (according to its server-specific policies) might decide to fail a request or instead mutate the client-provided attribute value are mainly to prevent:

- collisions with already assigned names,
- backdating of the lifecycle dates,
- use of algorithm parameters considered insecure.

Such situations should be rather infrequent.

Regards,
-Robert