Subject: Re: [kmip] Mutating attributes

Regarding the removal of attribute mutation in server's responses: during last week's call there were two comments, and I promised to look into them:

1) Todd indicated that some protocols have a "warning code" in their response messages. The warning code indicates that the server completed the operation but not exactly as requested by the client. With mutation being forbidden, the server can either complete the operation as requested by the client, or otherwise fail it with "Invalid Field" as Result Reason if the requested attribute values are not acceptable. Note that this does not provide any information to the client regarding which attribute value(s) were not acceptable. We had discussions about including a payload in the error response message to list what would be acceptable attribute values, but it gets hairy if multiple combinations of such values are acceptable, and the server would have to select which combination to return or even return all.
Therefore, we won't have the equivalent of warnings as it would require attribute mutation.

2) Someone else (I forgot whom and could not find it in the minutes) indicated that a clock skew between client and server could result in problems if mutation is not allowed. The example was a client setting the Activation Date to its value of the current date+time, but the server failing the request because a skew causes backdating and the server cannot mutate the attribute to its current date+time. However, the spec does not require the server to fail a request due to backdating of Activation Date: it is a server-specific policy decision how to handle it (this also applies to Deactivation Date). I assume that most implementation will at least allow a certain skew. But the better way to do this is for the client to call Activate() which will cause the Activation Date to be set by the server to its current date+time.
Therefore, clock skew is tolerated and does not require attribute mutation for operations to succeed. There are details in the Time Stamp section 6.5.

Regards,
-Robert