Subject: RE: [kmip] Broader View of Conformance

I can’t say I disagree with the points being made.    I think it all goes down to the goal of the I in KMIP, how interoperable do we want to make it?  Interoperable in a vertical segment or horizontal across the enterprise?  I think what we are leaning toward the former at the expense of the latter.

The banking scenario is a valid use case.  I think if we went with one minimum server profile we may risk imposing a high cost for development and conformance or the risk of implementations splintering off from the standard.  If we implement multiple profiles we risk having a splintered standard, and multiple KMIP standards to chose from.

One option is to limit the profiles to a very small number (2 or 3) with little-or-no option for adding more (at least in 1.0).  I think it would be important to define a full conformance profile (to the minimum as Todd mentioned) such that no subset profile will require more (to ensure fully conforming servers support all sub-profiles).   This may be improved with defining two classes of conformance being “full conformance” and the rest being “profile conformance”, so that the consumers are very aware of their purchase.

To the comment about switching over from one KMIP Server to another, I agree with the challenges in server specific designs and I’ll add that corporate inertia may also go against changing out functioning solutions.

Thanks,

Jay Jacobs

From: Todd Arnold [mailto:arnoldt@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 10:14 AM
To: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org

The other very important point to this is that since we have a standard defining how KMIP works, people should be able to switch from one KMIP server product to another if they need additional functionality.

Of course, the caveat here is that our KMIP spec leaves a lot of things up to the server designer, so they might be different in different implementations.  (For example, there are several things noted in the spec and user guide as "outside the scope", such as registration of the client with the server.)

Todd W. Arnold, STSM
IBM Cryptographic Technology Development
(704) 594-8253   FAX 594-8336
email:  arnoldt@us.ibm.com

David.Lawson@Emulex.Com

Todd Arnold/Charlotte/IBM@IBMUS, <kmip@lists.oasis-open.org>

08/21/2009 10:55 AM

RE: [kmip] Broader View of Conformance

Requiring all KMIP compliant servers to implement most of the KMIP specification would raise the costs of the users requiring only a single subset of KMIP for their application. Allowing targeted profiles to support the lower cost, targeted servers, does not necessarily mean there will be a multitude of KMIP servers required. If a user requires support of a single profile, a KMIP compliant server can be purchased that supports just the one profile. If the user wishes to have a more general purpose KMIP server, he can purchase a server that supports multiple profiles, approaching the server that supports most of the KMIP specification.

The user who requires, or might require in the future, can purchase the KMIP server that provides support for multiple profiles, or that can be upgraded to support multiple profiles at a later time. This would prevent the problem of having one key server for each purpose.

David Lawson
Emulex Corporation