Subject: Arbitrary Text Strings for Name Spaces

All,

In the Application Specific Information ballot, I made the following comment.

Problem:
The application name spaces are arbitrary text strings so that new types of application data can be used without requiring the standard to be updated.

Are the text strings arbitrary? We should have tighter control over the text strings for interoperability. What happens if one client uses “Volume Identification” and another uses “Volume ID” and another uses “Vol_ID”. Are these all unique name spaces?

Proposed Solution:
We should enumerate the types of name spaces so that we can increase interoperability. Clients should still be able to have their own vendor specific name spaces, but common ones should be standard.

Should we address this comment over the reflector?

Thanks,

Scott