Subject: RE: [kmip] Public Review of KMIP Specifications

Dear KMIP Commenters,

I'm involved in five standards organizations and there is no standard way to submit comments across these bodies.  Since we are in the process of reviewing 4 documents by tens of companies, tracking and resolving comments (probably hundreds and possibly thousands) in many formats across the four documents could be very time consuming for the group and especially the editors.  If some companies submit comments in pdf, others in word and some in html, we will have a difficult time tracking the resolution of comments.

I propose that we use the attached spreadsheet to submit comments against the pdf version of the document.  The spreadsheet has a separate worksheet for each document so that each editor can individually address their comments.

The comments are split into technical and editorial. Editorial comments are basic grammatical corrections that editors don't need the group input on.  Technical comments require the groups input and approval for inclusion.

I have provided two sample comments to explain the process.  You should add the name of your company in place of the "Company Name" in the first column so that you will be able to track your comments through the process.  Then label the comment technical (T) or Editorial (E) in the second column.  The next three columns identify the location of the comment.  Then you need to add the description of the comment and the proposed solution of the comment.

During comment resolution, the editor or chair of the document will include the resolution and we'll be able to track and understand what happened to the comment.  This tracking is very important because I have been in some standards that take a year to resolve comments and this spreadsheet helps track the comments down after many moons.  There is also a Status worksheet that can summarize how many technical comments we have and how many have been resolved or deferred.

I hope we can resolve our comments quicker than many months and this spreadsheet will help. This is one way to track comments and I am open to tracking them in a different manner.  We should agree to use one method.

Any other suggestions or can we agree to use this spreadsheet?

Thanks,
Scott Kipp
Standards Jockey

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary McRae [mailto:mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 10:48 PM
To: members@lists.oasis-open.org; tc-announce@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org; OASIS TAB
Subject: [kmip] Public Review of KMIP Specifications

To OASIS members, Public Announce Lists:

The OASIS Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP) TC has recently approved the following specifications as Committee Drafts and approved them for public review:

Key Management Interoperability Protocol Specification Version 1.0
Key Management Interoperability Protocol Profiles Version 1.0
Key Management Interoperability Protocol Use Cases Version 1.0
Key Management Interoperability Protocol Usage Guide Version 1.0

The public review starts today, 1 December 2009, and ends 30 January 2010. This is an open invitation to comment. We strongly encourage feedback from potential users, developers and others, whether OASIS members or not, for the sake of improving the interoperability and quality of OASIS work. We also welcome interested parties to join the KMIP TC as it continues work on the next version of KMIP in such areas as asymmetric profiles, server-to-server communication, and other important areas. Please feel free to distribute this announcement within your organization and to other appropriate mail lists.

More non-normative information about the specification and the technical committee may be found at the public home page of the TC at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=kmip. Comments may be submitted to the TC by any person through the use of the OASIS TC Comment Facility which can be located via the button marked "Send A Comment" at the top of that page, or directly at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=kmip.

Submitted comments (for this work as well as other works of that TC) are publicly archived and can be viewed at:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/kmip-comment/. All comments submitted to OASIS are subject to the OASIS Feedback License, which ensures that the feedback you provide carries the same obligations at least as the obligations of the TC members.

The specification document and related files are available here:

Key Management Interoperability Protocol Specification Version 1.0
Editable Source: (Authoritative)
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/spec/v1.0/cd06/kmip-spec-1.0-cd-06.doc
PDF:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/spec/v1.0/cd06/kmip-spec-1.0-cd-06.pdf
HTML:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/spec/v1.0/cd06/kmip-spec-1.0-cd-06.html

Key Management Interoperability Protocol Profiles Version 1.0
Editable Source: (Authoritative)
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/profiles/v1.0/cd04/kmip-profiles-1.0-cd-04.doc
PDF:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/profiles/v1.0/cd04/kmip-profiles-1.0-cd-04.pdf
HTML:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/profiles/v1.0/cd04/kmip-profiles-1.0-cd-04.html

Key Management Interoperability Protocol Use Cases Version 1.0
Editable Source: (Authoritative)
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/usecases/v1.0/cd05/kmip-usecases-1.0-cd-05.doc
PDF:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/usecases/v1.0/cd05/kmip-usecases-1.0-cd-05.pdf
HTML:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/usecases/v1.0/cd05/kmip-usecases-1.0-cd-05.html

Key Management Interoperability Protocol Usage Guide Version 1.0
Editable Source: (Authoritative)
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/ug/v1.0/cd05/kmip-ug-1.0-cd-05.doc
PDF:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/ug/v1.0/cd05/kmip-ug-1.0-cd-05.pdf
HTML:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/ug/v1.0/cd05/kmip-ug-1.0-cd-05.html

OASIS and the KMIP TC welcome your comments.

Mary P McRae
Director, Standards Development
Technical Committee Administrator
email: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org