Subject: Comments on GetUsageAllocation

In the 2nd public review version, section 4.17, the KMIP specification now states that the parameters for GetUsageAllocation are

Request Payload
Object
REQUIRED
Description
Unique Identifier, see 3.1 No Determines the object whose usage allocation is being requested. If omitted, then the ID Placeholder is substituted by the server.
Usage Limits Count, see 3.16 Yes The number of Usage Limits Units to be protected.

However, the interop participants (and the Use Cases document) only have a Long Integer for the UsageLimitsCount, rather the structure identified in section 3.16, which is

Object
Encoding
REQUIRED
Usage Limits Structure
Usage Limits Total Long Integer Yes
Usage Limits Count Long Integer Yes
Usage Limits Unit Enumeration, see 9.1.3.2.30 Yes

It would seem that we've introduced an ambiguity into the spec.  It is now unclear as to what the second parameter on GetUsageAllocation really is.  The section reference has heretofore been used to pull in other structures.  But the description makes it seem like Long Integer might be correct.
And if it's really just a Long Integer, then we don't really know whether the caller has confused objects with bytes.  We used to know.
It would seem that GetUsageAllocation needs to have

Request Payload
Object
REQUIRED
Description
Unique Identifier, see 3.1 No Determines the object whose usage allocation is being requested. If omitted, then the ID Placeholder is substituted by the server.
Usage Limits Unit, see 9.1.3.2.30 Yes Enumeration
Usage Count, Long Integer Yes The number of Usage Limits Units to be protected.

Bruce A Rich
brich at-sign us dot ibm dot com