Subject: Protocol versioning

I took an action item on the last TC call to write a note to the reflector, requesting that folks cogitate a bit about KMIP versioning.
This is that note.

With one version of the standard under our belts, we need to carefully consider how different KMIP versions are supposed to relate to each other.

The KMIP v1.0 spec had some initial thoughts, some in front matter (section 6), and some buried in the error handling sections (section 11).
We should dust those off, and think carefully about how this should play out.  Alan's "entity" doc may be a useful mental testcase for this purpose.

I suppose guidelines around what constitutes a "major" vs a "minor" change would be useful, too.

Bruce A Rich
brich at-sign us dot ibm dot com