Subject: Re: [kmip] FW: Request for IANA port assignments for KMIP

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, robert.griffin@rsa.com wrote:

> hi -
> here's the IANA port request we sent to OASIS a year ago, and again
> in July. Please take a look and let Subhash and me know of any edits.
>
> here's a quick cut at the email to Robin Cover:
>
> Robin -
>
> at Mary's suggestion, about a year ago we sent her the attached
> request for assignment of ports to KMIP by IANA. We checked
> back with Mary at various times, but I don't think it ever got
> submitted.
>
> Is this something that you would want to take care of? We'd like
> to get this submitted by 11-Feb, before we start the RSA
> Conference, with a target of getting the request acted on by
> the end of the quarter. Does that work for you? Or should we go
> ahead and do it directly from the KMIP TC?
>
> regards,
>
> Bob

Bob (and KMIP TC members),

I spotted the above message on the KMIP TC list, and then similarly
in a note from Bob yesterday [1].  I'm very sorry about the delay in
processing this request, and will do my best to dispatch it.

I do recall the TC's interest in registering ports, as far back
as 25 February 2009 (at least), and considered it noteworthy
to the extent of a "Cover Pages" writeup [2], but don't recall
any internal Staff discussions about handling the request.

IEEE has (had?) a similar work item to define concrete default port
bindings for the XML P1619 [3], in tandem development with the KMIP
spec; were registration requests sent to IANA from IEEE Project P1619.3?

As to a few particulars that may help me get started:

> let Subhash and me know of any edits

I have three questions.

1. clarification on the Port Number type

From the list of IANA forms (Protocol Registration Forms)
for Port Numbers [4], one is purely for updating contact
information and two are for initial port registration
requests.  One request form is for "Well-Known" Ports
and the other is for User registered Ports [5]

The KMIP TC's application document "KMIP Server and Client
Port Applications" [6] as approved on 14-January-2010 [7]
specifically mentions "well known ports" (ports 0 through 1023):

   "The KMIP specification describes two services that would
    benefit from well known ports assigned by IANA"

On the other hand, the URI cited and the application details
suggest that what's intended matches two 'User" port
registrations -- not "Well-Known". Can someone confirm this?

2. date/level of the KMIP specification cited

As far as I could tell from the "User" port registration
request, there is no IANA requirement to authoritatively
cite an I-D or RFC or other formal specification -- just
a request for "a technical description" in 2+ paragraphs

- [User] "Please give us a technical description of your
   proposed use of the user port number. (At least 2
   paragraphs)"

- [Well-Known] "a pointer to your documentation for the
   system port number"

On the other hand: providing a URI reference to the KMIP
TC's specification at OASIS Standard level could (?) be
useful to provide credibility, and speed up processing of
the request by IANA administration.

But the TC's approved document only cites the "Draft" KMIP
spec at level CD06. Should someone create an updated
(even if unofficial) document that characterizes KMIP as
a Standard?  I could do that upon request, as a purely
editing operation, but having it referenceable from the
TC's repository, with KMIP TC members' names would be
ideal, IMO.

3. registration logistics: is there a request tracker?

Does anyone on the TC have experience with IANA's
registration proces for ports?  We have had some
other interactions (Media/mine types, link type relations)
but I'm not aware of earlier registrations from OASIS
TCs for ports.

For example: is it possible to inspect a registration
processing queue to see the status of existing
applications?  I recall this (requires a password)
but lost the information momentarily.

That's all for now.  Anyone with experience on this
topic, feel free to call me for a brief chat:

+1 972-296-1783

  - Robin

Robin Cover
Interim TC Administrator
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html