Subject: RE: [kmip] Client Registration Proposal question

Stan,

Thank you for your feedback.

You are right, the proposal does not address sharing of the objects based on the owner attribute. In fact, I made a comment during the proposal update about two weeks ago that perhaps a different proposal should address object sharing, specifically, the Group proposal. I also remember Krishna's response to my comment that the Group proposal was not a good place for it (I'm paraphrasing). Clearly, object sharing and access control based on the Owner attribute needs to be addressed.

I am open to any suggestions, including the following:

- Client Registration proposal needs to be updated to include object sharing based on the owner attribute and a notion of a collection of Entities (I used the term collection to make it explicitly different from Group)
- Group proposal needs to be updated to include object sharing based on the owner attribute
- A separate collection proposal that addresses object sharing
- Postpone the object sharing and access control until further release (beyond this year)
- Leave object sharing and access control outside of the scope of KMIP at server discretion

I would like to get consensus on which of the options we should choose, perhaps we can discuss this during the call on Thursday.

Regards,
Denis

-----Original Message-----
From: Feather, Stan S [mailto:stan.feather@hp.com]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 5:12 PM
To: Pochuev,Denis; kmip@lists.oasis-open.org

Denis,

I've reviewed the spec changes you've proposed, and I'd like some clarification about support for sharing keys/objects.

Is key sharing between registered Entities considered to be based on server-policy, unrelated to the Owner attribute that each client sees?

There are clearly use cases for sharing objects/keys between multiple Entities registered with the same server.  So, at least to me, it isn't  clear how Owner supports this.

Thanks,
Stan Feather
HP StorageWorks