Subject: RE: [kmip] Groups - Client Registration - Summary(Client_Registration_Examples-G.ppt) uploaded

Bob,

I certainly would like to understand this idea. What we have been proposing so far certainly diverges from the group ownership concept. I don't think at this point there is much of a danger of this discussion delaying 1.1.

Regards,
Denis

-----Original Message-----
From: Lockhart, Robert [mailto:Robert.Lockhart@thalesesec.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:15 PM
To: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org

I was hoping to delay this discussion for the next release when it comes to ownership.  I am of the opinion that we should consider a group as the only kind of owner that exists.  There are several reasons for this and the most important one is that it makes it easier to manage policy, access and key lifecycle.

I was hoping to save this discussion for 2.0 but since it is coming up as part of the entity conversation, I would like to put forward that we at least take it into consideration for ownership of keys, devices, policies and any other entities along the way.  I haven't fully considered the proxy issue with groups but currently it looks like it could make life easier for direct clients, passthrough proxy and aggregator proxy models.

The reason I wanted to delay the group ownership discussion for the next release is because there are some additional considerations when moving to group ownership that might be a little obstinate up front but should make for simpler modification in the future both for developers and users and would then potentially delay 1.1.

I will put together a presentation on the concept for next weeks discussion that should only be five or six slides long and what benefit we might get when we look at server to server as well.

Bob L.

Robert A. (Bob) Lockhart
Senior Solutions Architect
THALES Information Systems Security