Subject: RE: [kmip] Client Registration

John raises a good point regarding the need to have owner attribute as a part of the protocol. I would argue that object ownership is fundamental to key management and therefore KMIP. First, the spec already states that object revocation is essentially based on the object ownership. Second, what is the point of defining representations of KMIP clients (Entities) if they cannot have different levels of access to the crypto objects? I'm not suggesting that we have to define Entities and therefore we need object ownership, it is the other way around - we need a model for clients with differing access rights, therefore we need Entities and ownership. Finally, several key management servers have a notion of ownership, should these be aligned?

I believe it is possible to define a framework for representing KMIP clients as Entities and object ownership based on the Entity. It appears that there are alternative models for representing ownership (see Bob L's e-mail earlier). I think that without some ownership model the I in KMIP will suffer.

Regarding the specific questions, here is my take on it:

> If we were to introduce an owner attribute, could it be optional?
Yes, owner attribute could be optional, but we need to define what that means. In our implementation objects without owners are global and therefore have a special access provision (accessible by any client).

> Could we have more than one owner of the same object?
I believe there should be a single owner of an object. I am curious to hear Bob L's scheme for a group being the only type of an owner.

> Should the owner always be an entity, or could it be another object; e.g. a group, or a role?
In our proposal only Entity can be an owner. Groups can provide access to objects, but that does not change the ownership. Group-owner may be possible in an alternative model.

> Could we have part-owners; e.g. N-of-M scenarios, where the owner is some defined minimum subset of entities, each having some partial claim to ownership?
Not in our model. What is the use-case here? Only a client that provides N different credentials from a set of M possible ones can access an object? In general, we view access as a separate category from ownership. It sounds to me that the N-of-M scenarios are about access, not ownership.

Regards,
Denis