Subject: RE: [kmip] Groups - Usage Guide Additions for ASN.1 to StringConversion (KMIP1.1UGASN.1toStringProposal.doc) uploaded

Tim

Sure, I can change the title of the proposal as you suggest.  I'll just wait to see if I receive any other comments prior to doing an update.

I'd suggest we talk about whether this should be normative text and included in the specification during the TC call this week.

Judy

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Hudson [mailto:tjh@cryptsoft.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:05 PM
To: Furlong, Judith; kmip@lists.oasis-open.org

> Document Description:
> Usage Guide text to identify the method KMIP implementations should use for
> converting ASN.1 encoded fields within Certificates into Text String
> encoded fields within KMIP attributes.

This is not general ASN.1 - it is just about converting X.509 Distinguished
Names to a text format so should be titled as per the RFC "Text String
Representation of Distinguished Names".

Also this text should be in the specification and not the Usage Guide.
It is normative text. Implementations are required to follow it.

Tim.