Subject: proposal for new TC rule regarding coordinating changes to the KMIPSpecification and KMIP Usage Guide

Hi –

Several times it’s been hard to get information for the KMIP Usage Guide created, once a proposal for the KMIP Specification has been balloted and approved. So in order to ensure that we have all the information relevant to both the KMIP Specification and the KMIP Usage Guide at the time we vote to include new functionality in KMIP, TC members have suggested that the TC vote to require that any proposal for changes to the KMIP Specification must also, at the time of ballot, include any new material for the Usage Guide.

I have confirmed with the OASIS folks that there is no problem with creating such a rule (see the thread below). Here’s a first cut at the language for such a rule:

No motion for an addition, deletion or modification to the KMIP Specification shall be accepted unless any KMIP Usage Guide addition, deletion or modification required in support of the change to the KMIP Specification has been defined and included in the same or accompanying ballot.

We’ll plan to discuss this in Thursday’s call. Please feel free to send comments either to me or to the reflector.

Thanks!