Subject: RE: Two proposals

Hi Bob,
Looks like the right direction to go to me. Would we not also address the client side or will that be addressed in the appropriate profiles?

Regards,
Larry H

-----Original Message-----
From: robert.griffin@rsa.com [mailto:robert.griffin@rsa.com]
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 9:19 AM
To: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [kmip] Two proposals

Hi -

In our call yesterday I offered to take a first cut at re-wording section 10 to accommodate KMIP implementations that cannot support TCP. I suggest we consider the following (with thanks to TimH for his help with this);

"10 A KMIP server SHALL establish and maintain confidentiality and integrity, and provide assurance of server authenticity for KMIP messaging, as specified in KMIP Profiles."

I think taking this approach is more in synch with our intent in the Profiles document. Please send around your comments/suggestions/criticisms to the reflector! I'd like to discuss this on our next call and consider either a ballot or voice vote on the change.

I think we should also consider removing Section 9.2 from the specification. This is the forward-looking statement about XML representation of the protocol. Given that we have deferred XML out of V1.1 and do not have a commitment to support alternative representations in a later version of the standard, I don"t think we should include such a statement in the normative document. So I propose the following;

"Delete section 9.2 from the KMIP V1.1 Specification".

Again, please send around any comments/issues on this proposal. I'd like to discuss it and consider a voice or ballot vote on our next call.

Thanks!