Subject: Re: [kmip] Groups - Proposal for change to conformance language inKMIP Profiles (kmip profiles conformance proposal 5sep11.pdf) modified

Hi john -

I believe this was the case for query in v1.0. But we can certainly discuss in the call on thursday.

Regards

Bob

----- Original Message -----
From: John Leiseboer [mailto:jleiseboer@bigpond.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 12:30 AM
To: Griffin, Robert; kmip@lists.oasis-open.org <kmip@lists.oasis-open.org>

From the proposal:
"Enable Discover Version to be used without requiring channel confidentiality, channel authenticity and client and server authentication."

What are the reasons for this proposal? What benefits are there in supporting an insecure message exchange between KMIP clients and servers?

If the channel and server are not trusted, then how is it possible for the client to trust the response? If the response cannot be trusted, then what use is it?

From implementation, security, and maintenance points of view, I'd rather not be required to introduce an insecure mode of operation in my server to comply with this proposal unless there are clear and compelling reasons and/or benefits for doing this.

-- John

John Leiseboer                    QuintessenceLabs Pty Ltd
Chief Technology Officer          Suite 23, Physics Building #38
P: +61 7 5494 9291                Science Road
F: +61 2 6125 7180                Australian National University
M: +61 409 487 510                Acton, ACT 0200 Australia
mailto:jl@quintessencelabs.com    www.quintessencelabs.com