Subject: RE: [kmip] Groups - KMIP v.1.1 Proposal for Changing Data Type of Certificate Attribute Related Fields from Text Strings to Byte Strings uploaded

Hi Judy,

I wonder, if instead of changing the types for the specified fields, we add new fields with the preferred types, and deprecate use of the old fields? If KMIP 1.0 wasn’t already an approved standard I would have no hesitation in supporting your proposed changes. But it is an approved standard, and there will be implementations using the current types (text strings), and so all future backwards-compatible implementations will have to support them anyway. From an implementation point of view, it might just be easier to keep the old field names, tags and type, add a new parallel set with byte string type, deprecate the old fields, and move forward with the new.

johnl

From: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:kmip@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Judith Furlong
Sent: Thursday, 6 October 2011 6:16 AM
To: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org

Document Name: KMIP v.1.1 Proposal for Changing Data Type of Certificate Attribute Related Fields from Text Strings to Byte Strings

Description
Proposal for changing the data type of the fields within the Certificate
Identifier, Certificate Subject, and Certificate Issuer attributes from
Text String to Byte String
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Judith Furlong
Group: OASIS Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP) TC
Folder: Proposals
Date submitted: 2011-10-05 13:13:11