Subject: Proposed date, location and agenda for KMIP F2F (February 2012)

Hi –

In our KMIP TC call today, I’d like to finalize the date and location for our face-to-face, as well as to begin working out the agenda.

Based on the straw poll, there is reasonably clear agreement that the preferred location is the Safenet facility in Redwood City, CA. I propose we go with that. We will also have phone / web access, for those who can’t attend in person, though as always I urge everyone who can to join us there in Redwood City.

Based on the straw poll, the date that is acceptable to most people is the Thursday/Friday before the RSA Conference (that is, Feb. 23/24).  In order to help minimize the time commitment, we could start somewhat later on the Thursday, so that those who wish to can plan their travel to arrive on the Thursday morning; that will also give me time to work with the Safenet folks on Thursday morning to make sure that webex/phone are up and running.

With that in mind, I’ve suggested that we start the f2f at 10:30 am on Thursday 23-Feb in the proposed agenda below. I’d like to discuss this during our call today, to see if that make sense or whether we should consider an earlier or later starting time.

I suggest that our goal for the f2f will be to move forward on enhancements to KMIP that we could reasonably accomplish in a V1.2 release. The areas that seem to be of interest are particularly related to use cases related to key management for cloud / virtual environments, as well as some interest in more advanced use cases in the storage environment (such as migration of keys across key management servers in general). Areas of functionality in KMIP that probably need to be addressed include:

-    Entity, including different entity types and delegation models

-    Trust models beyond TLS

-    Client registration management

-    Policy _expression_ (for migrating keys across servers), including enhancements to access control, groups

-    Use cases, usage information and profiles related to these areas

Given those topics, I’ve put together below a first cut at the agenda.

Talk to you soon!

Proposed agenda

Thursday Feb 23, 2012 (all times US Pacific Standard Time)

10:30 to 11:00

- welcome, roll call

- review and approval of draft agenda

- review/approval of minutes from preceding meeting(s)

- review of outstanding items in Usage Guide, from implementations, from use cases, etc

- revision of agenda (if necessary) in light of preceding discussion

11 to 12 – use cases driving V1.2 enhancements

- storage use cases

12 to 1 - lunch

1 to 2:30 – use cases driving V1.2 enhancements

      virtualization use cases

2:30 to 2:45 – checkpoint/review on use cases; revision of agenda

2:45 to 3:00 - break

3 to 4:30 – entity

- entity object definition (differentiation / delegation)

- entity groups

- entity management (registration)

4:30 to 5 - checkpoint/review and wrap-up Day 1

5 pm adjourn

6 pm dinner

Friday February 24, 2012

8 to 8:15 - welcome, roll call

8:15 to 8:30 - agenda

- review and revision of agenda

8:30 to 10 - policy

- access/permission policies (including XACML)

- cryptographic policies

10 to 10:15 - break

10:15 to 11:45 – trust establishment approaches

- alternatives to TLS for end-to-end trust with intermediaries

-

11:45 to 12:00 - checkpoint/review of morning

12 to 1 - lunch

1:00 to 2:15 – trust establishment approaches

- enhancements to wrapped keys

2:15 to 2:30 - break

2:30 to 3:30 – profiles

-    Implications of use cases for new profiles

3:30 to 4:30 – planning, review and wrap-up

- V1.2 work items

- V1.2 schedule

4:30 pm adjourn