Subject: preparing to vote for submission of KMIP V1.1 Committee Specifications to OASIS membership

Hi –

Now that we’ve passed the second public review, we’re ready to consider submitting the V1.1 Specification and Profiles to OASIS membership for promotion to OASIS standards, as we did with the V1.0 docs. For our meeting on Thursday 28-Jun, we’d like to consider a motion such as the following:

“The KMIP Technical Committee requests the KMIP co-chairs to create a ballot to submit the KMIP Specification Version 1.1 Committee Specification and KMIP Profiles Version 1.1 Committee Specification as a Candidate OASIS Standards and to request OASIS to initiate the process for review of these candidate standards by the OASIS membership, as defined in the OASIS Technical Committee Process, section 3.4.1.”

There are a number of supporting materials specified in that part of the TC Process that have to be included when the chairs submit these documents; we’ll prepare and distribute those materials prior to our next meeting on 28-June so that TC members can review them before voting on this motion.

As we’ve discussed in earlier TC calls, we will also need to have at least 3 Statements of Use – preferably at least in draft form at the time we initiate this ballot.  We suggest the following, by way of process for these SoUs:

-          Any organization that is an OASIS member who is interested in having a Statement of Use included in the submission to OASIS should distribute a draft to the KMIP TC by end-of-day (EDT) Wednesday 27-June. The SoU must specify one or more profiles for which the SoU claims conformance. Note that for any profile included in the SoU, all of the conformance clauses not explicitly marked as optional within the profile must have been implemented and tested in order to make such a conformance claim.

-          Any comments/concerns from TC members should be sent to the KMIP co-chairs within a week (that is, by end-of-day Wednesday 4-July. At that point the TC co-chairs will work with the SoU submitters on behalf of the TC to resolve issues (if there are any) with the SoUs.

-          The submitter should send the final version of the SoU signed by organizational representative to the KMIP TC co-chairs by the start of our KMIP TC meeting on 12-July at 11 a.m EDT, when we will review the results of the ballot and (hopefully) confirm that we are ready to request the vote by OASIS membership.

Thanks for all the work on KMIP V1.1!  We’re looking forward to our next meeting on the 28th.

Regards,

Subhash / Bob