Subject: Re: [kmip] Groups - kmip-https-profile-v1.0-wd04.pdf uploaded

JohnL (and others), the context of the discussion to date is pretty simple.

1) a vendor can elect to not be conform with a profile (or the specification)
2) a vendor can elect to pick any port they like for offering KMIP (TTLV)
3) a vendor can elect to pick any port they like for offering KMIP (HTTPS-TTLV) 4) if a vendor elects to use the IANA registered port (5696) for offering KMIP services then in order to conform with this profile they must support the protocol registered with IANA for that port as well

It is that simple. No vendor is forced to use port 5696 (consistent with the base specification).

Based on many discussions to date the consensus as I understand it is that the base specification should have also included this text and we will be proposing that additional text be included in KMIP 1.2.

The concept that the KMIP TC would consider use of a port we registered for a specific protocol (KMIP-TTLV) that was registered with IANA be acceptable for using for another protocol (KMIP-HTTPS-TTLV) is not a position that is reasonable or supportable to take as a technical committee in my opinion (which I know is shared by others).

KMIP is focused on interoperability and the choices which have guided the TC to date have to been to err on the side of choices which encourage realisation of that interoperability for the ultimate end users of the specification.

The discussions on the original HTTPS profile and on the IANA port registration I know predate some participants and these issues have been discussed again. We cannot always reach consensus on a topic and that is why we have a voting mechanism in place.

The concept of supporting a HTTPS based protocol goes back to the original precursor of KMIP (2007) and vendors have released product which supports this profile. The lack of progress on getting this documented and recognised by the KMIP TC is something we all need to stop and reflect on.

We also have the broader issue of handling profiles (the library of profiles discussed by Bob Griffin over the last three months) and the guidance for those profiles too will be that they should not take a position which conflicts with the interoperability objective of the work of the technical committee.

We need to see more profiles documented and published along with their self-contained test cases and a formal independent conformance testing program in order to actually deliver interoperable products.

How these profiles connect into KMIP and become recognised in that context is a remaining problem to tackle - and it is not a simple one and not one which we can address only in the context of KMIP 1.2 - as many profiles are going to be equally relevant to KMIP 1.0, KMIP 1.1, and KMIP 1.x/2.x, etc. It is that discussion which I think remains to be addressed.

Tim.