Subject: KMIP webinar

Hi –

I’ve included below a first cut at the KMIP webinar description, based on the proposal that John, Saikat and I submitted for the NIST KM workshop.  Please send me any edits/suggestions!

We’re currently looking at offering the webinar on Tuesday 25-Sep. We would give it twice, at 8 am EDT (US) and 6 pm EDT (US), in order to have at least one reasonably convenient time for attendees in any time zone.  So we would likely have 2 different sets of presenters, so that folks in Australia and California don’t have to present in the middle of the night (though I may contribute to both sessions).

Addressing the New Complexities in Key Management Interoperability: KMIP V.Next

The finalization of OASIS KMIP V1.1 marks a significant milestone in achieving key management interoperability, especially within the enterprise. But there are new complexities that have to be addressed. In the interaction between a cloud service provider and its tenant enterprises, for example, issues such as ownership of keys, requirements for visibility and governance, isolation of tenant environments and segregation of duties greatly increase the difficulty of key distribution. Complex enterprise environments create new requirements for key management for core elements of the infrastructure, such as hardware security modules. New cryptographic models such as quantum key distribution require thinking about key distribution in new ways.

In this webinar, we’ll explore several critical scenarios for interoperability that must be addressed in the increasingly complex world of key management. We’ll then discuss what these scenarios mean in terms of enhancing KMIP, including in such areas as trust establishment, entity credentials, tenant identification and key policy.

Presenters include:

Tony Cox, Technical Director, Cryptsoft

Bob Griffin, Chief Security Architect, RSA, the Security Division of EMC and co-chair of OASIS KMIP TC

John Leiseboer, Chief Technical Officer, Quintessence Labs

Saikat Saha, Senior Product Manager for Data Encryption and Control, SafeNet

Nathan Turajski, Technical Director, Thales