Subject: Re: [kmip] Groups - Name attribute modification to allow non-unique names uploaded

Bob,

I am strongly opposed to this breaking change to the current protocol.

Applications today can count on the uniqueness of the Name attribute to locate a specific object in KMIP.  Your proposal robs them of that ability.  And your description is inaccurate.  Your proposal does NOT allow "easy lookups of specific objects".  It renders the process more complicated, in that it allows multiple possible answers to a question that today would yield at most one specific answer.

I would be totally OK with the introduction of a "Nickname" attribute that behaves as you described in your proposal.  Applications that wish to deal with the ambiguity of such a mechanism could then opt to use it.  I think it wrong to change the semantics of "Name" without a major protocol version change.

Bruce A Rich
brich at-sign us dot ibm dot com

From:        Robert Lockhart <Robert.Lockhart@thalesesec.com>
To:        kmip@lists.oasis-open.org
Date:        12/04/2012 08:39 AM
Sent by:        <kmip@lists.oasis-open.org>

Document Name: Name attribute modification to allow non-unique names

Description
Modification to make the name attribute non-unique for a standard attribute
that allows easy lookups of specific objects by a human readable name.

Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Robert Lockhart
Group
: OASIS Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP) TC
Folder
: Proposals
Date submitted
: 2012-12-04 06:37:15