Subject: Re: [kmip] Groups - Split_Key_Use_Cases.docx uploaded

Tim Hudson <tjh@cryptsoft.com> wrote on 07.02.2013 22:46:29:

> Thanks Kelly, some thoughts after reading though the proposal and as
> mentioned on the call this week the operation will need to have added
> the parameters.
>
> (see table 32 in 2.2.5 in KMIP 1.1)
>
> Split Key Parts                    Required
> Split Key Threshold            Required
> Split Key Method               Required
> Prime Field Size                  Optional
>
> Basically after calling CreateSplitKey we need a mechanism to be able to
> get at the various separate split key managed objects created.
> Does this return the list of unique identifiers for each split key?

And with which unique identifier, if any, is the ID Placeholder
populated with? E.g., in the Create Key Pair operation the unique
identifier of the Private Key is used.

> Are there Link attributes between each of the split keys back to the key
> which was split when splitting an existing key?
> Forward links from the key to the split parts?
>

> We may also want to consider making each of those items attributes so
> that we can perform a Locate based on that - but that may not be
> required - unless there is consensus on the need to Locate (for example)
> all split keys with a given method and threshold.
> At the moment such a locate cannot be performed as these items are not
> attributes.

If all parts of a split key have links to all the other parts, then you
could at least Locate the other parts as long as you know the unique
identifier of one of them. I agree that for the other items they would have
to be attributes if they are to be used for a Locate - whether that is
useful or not is another topic.

> Thanks,
> Tim.

Thanks,