Subject: re-chartering KMIP

Hi (yet again!) –

At the KMIP F2F, the TC agreed that we’d like to move ahead with considering re-chartering the TC. I asked Chet if we needed to wait until the V1.1 Errata are done before starting the process; he didn’t think so (“You would work on the Errata under either version of the charter”). So I’d like to discuss the following draft motion in our call this week:

“I move that the KMIP TC request OASIS administration to initiate a special majority ballot to determine whether the KMIP TC wishes to modify the current charter, such that the following bulleted items are removed from the list of out-of-scope areas currently defined in the charter:

 ·  Framework interfaces not dedicated to secure key and certificate management

·  Certain areas of functionality related to key management are also outside the scope of this technical committee, in particular registration of clients, server-to-server communication and key migration.

·  Bindings other than tag-length-value wire protocol and XSD-based encodings.”

A couple of things I’d call out:

-           Chet felt that this motion didn’t need to be a ballot, since OASIS will be setting up a Special Majority ballot.

-

-          I assume that some or many of the member organizations will need to have their legal departments review this change to the charter. So we probably want to wait to make and vote on this motion until such review has taken place? Should we have a statement of intent that folks can take back to their companies?

The motion is fine. You can just approve it as a motion in a meeting if you want to. No need for you to create a ballot (7 days) to ask me to initiate a ballot (7 more days). Then (since we don't have a ticket for this) just send me the link in an email and I'll set the ballot up.