Subject: FW: Draft memo on re-charter

Hi -

I'd also like to discuss re-chartering in our call this week and will be adding it to the agenda.  Here's the draft memo I'd sent out earlier.

From: Griffin, Robert
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 12:37 PM
To: 'kmip@lists.oasis-open.org'
Subject: Draft memo on re-charter

Hi -

Here's a first cut at the memo regarding re-chartering. Please take a look and send around your comments! A couple of points:

- I've suggested pulling out some of the out-of-scope bullets (I may not have which ones exactly right). Should we just drop the whole out-of-scope section?

- I didn't call out the editorial edits (droppimg "will", for example). Should we have a fully edited draft charter for this review?

Looking forward to the discussion!

------------------------------
To KMIP TC members -

As we discussed at each of past two face-to-face meetings, there are several areas that we are working on in v1.2 that are to some degree at odds with our current charter.

- cloud and server-to-server use cases have introduced some aspects of server-to-server interaction.

- we have provided use cases and guidance regarding client registration.

- crypto use cases and functionality, though not explicitly declared out of scope, are addressing capabilities beyond those focused on key management.

- we are providing optional expression of the KMIP protocol in XML and JSON, complementing the normative expression in TTLV.

In order to align the KMIP TC charter more closely with what we now understand as appropriate areas for consideration, the KMIP TC is considering making the following substantive changes to the charter:

- removing bullets three, four and five from the our-of-scope section (see text below)

We are soliciting review by KMIP TC member companies to determine if this change introduces any concerns. Please peovide feedback to the TC by June 30, 2013.

Regards,

Bob  / Subhash